Drone Gas Detection With Sniffer4D – heliguy™
- Demonstration of the Sniffer4D gas detection system with the DJI M300 RTK drone showed its value for public safety;
- The module quickly identified numerous gases/substances during a simulated fire, providing real-time insights about concentration levels, location, and direction of travel;
- Data can be viewed in 2D or 3D, courtesy of Sniffer4D Mapper, for deeper insights;
- A drone and Sniffer4D is up to 60 times more efficient than traditional methods, quickly covering large areas. It is also a safer method of data collection, replacing the need to send personnel into hazardous areas;
- The module can be used for a range of applications, such as industrial inspection, scientific research, and environmental monitoring.
A demonstration has shown the capabilities of a drone-based multi-gas detection system, including for public safety and HazMat operations.
Flown above a smoking building, the module quickly identified numerous air pollutants in the plume, such as carbon monoxide, sulphur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, and VOCs (volatile organic compounds).
Providing real-time insights, it not only detected different gases, but also revealed their location, concentration and direction of travel.
Lee Newman, Station Officer at London Fire Brigade, said this type of information would be invaluable for bolstering situational awareness and safety during a live incident.
He admitted that the system impressed at the trial and ‘raised a few eyebrows’ among attendees, which included representatives from Essex Police and Fire, and Hertfordshire Police.
Station Officer Newman said: “Sniffer4D is really good and performed well during the trial, showing its effectiveness for public safety and HazMat operations. Information is king and the more you have helps to build a better plan, which facilitates incident response and crew safety.
“In the case of the trial, the gas detection system was able to provide more details about the smoke cloud than a visual camera could, telling us what type of hazardous substances were in the plume, their concentration, and where they were heading.
“In a real-world event, this would not only help us tackle the incident, but help us better protect the nearby community, taking preventative action such as telling them to shut windows or redirect traffic – especially if there were high levels of really dangerous substances. And the system obtains the information you need while keeping crews away from the incident.”
Sniffer4D Aerial Gas Detection – The Solution
The Sniffer4D ecosystem combines the gas detection unit which integrates with the drone and the Sniffer4D Mapper software, helping to analyse spatial distributions of particles and air pollutants and identify sources and transportation of air pollution.
This plug-and-play solution, also…